8.19.2008

What I Did on my (Two Day/ADD Induced) Summer Vacation


Most people can completely relax beside a large body of water with just a bottle of sunscreen, a towel, and a book. Some of us master the art of Doing Nothing. Others relax by racking their bodies with muscle pain by trying to water ski, wake board, and getting flung around at 50 mph on a flame colored tube thingy with a driver madly trying to throw you like snarling bull at the rodeo.

I managed all of the above. I’m not so sure I wasn’t a bit ADD while taking it all in. But let me explain ...

I found myself with some friends at a big lake near MudHole. Boats and Personal Water Crafties (Jet Skies). Floatation devices with beer holders. Coolers chocked full with plenty of ice. Delicious picnics at the end of the dock. New and old favorites on the boat stereo. Fabulous BBQ’d dinners. Crazy, hilarious card games. Needed naps in the sun. Needed naps in the shade (because of the naps in the sun). Diving, swimming, and other water sports. Moon light cruising with wine and cheese... Thus, my summer vacation in a whole two days.

But I only mention ADD because I think I had a touch. As a master of the art of Doing Nothing, I was a bit confused with this syndrome. I say this because it took me a little bit to get into the groove which is not like me at all. I left a few loose ends undone before heading out to the lake. So, I started out in a bit of a funk. But it didn’t last long once my feet dipped in the cool water and my hand held a fresh beverage with a lime.

I guess the other ADD part was in how I had a standing and pacing issue on the dock/boat landing. And that is just not like me. I felt relaxed, I really did, but still acted a tad restless. Part of it, ok ... most of it, was due to muscle pain from the skiing and tubing. I had a fear of lying down. Because if I was going to get prone and sprawled out (aka relaxed) at the end of the dock, I wasn’t so sure I was going to be able to get up again without help and that was going to be embarrassing. As it was I audibled enough grunts and groans to prove to everyone I didn’t do this ski/tube thing much.

The weekend (My Summer Vacation) was much needed. I longed for my own lake in Northern Michigan as the sights and sounds were reminiscent of my childhood summers. It was memorable and I do hope to go back again soon.

No comments: