8.20.2008

Scratching the Itch

Greek author Plutarch: What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality.
Since I started blogging (Mudholer and this one) nearly four years ago, I’ve tried every once in a while to stop and take stock of it all. This afternoon it hit me that in the short time I’ve been creating words on a screen this blog thing has sort of permanently etched itself into my identity to the point where I find it a necessary itch in need of a constant scratch. It’s safe to say I love writing it. Hell, I better love it if I’m going to bang away at a keyboard some nights in the a.m. side of midnight. No doubt I'm addicted to the liberation of self-expression.

I also think writing a blog forces one to observe life with a constant awareness of being in the moment. I could care less about the anonymous internet surfers (although I do get kick out seeing from where they lurk and what they read). No, I've gone down this life path having made (most) of my own choices. And I simply chose to remain immersed in writing about it because it provides me a release, both the positive and the negative.

Life is interesting and hard and fun and full of stuff to get through. But here, in this blog thing, I can articulate my demons and loves however I see fit. Then I can take a step back and laugh. Because, quite amazingly, my issues and observations seem rather trivial once I've posted them into cyberspace.

My experiences are not necessarily unique. I'm exploring poetry out of a love. Who hasn't done that before? I post song lyrics blended with fiction to hide the obvious. Who hasn't read that kind of thing before, either? No, I write because my thoughts might amuse others in my life who know and read my blog. Anyone else is just a bonus.

Life has come at me quickly. But overall, I have a good life. I share it daily with friends and family, close by and far away. And, thanks to the blog, I get to scratch a creative itch and ya'll get to read, and perhaps, comment/participate. Thanks for reading....

No comments: