8.14.2008

Book Review

Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

I don’t usually do book reviews. Ever, actually. But I was given this book from one with whom music is a central theme between the two of us. It is our time. It is part of the connection and attraction.

I find it difficult to imagine anyone reading this book not being profoundly moved. Well, wait, I take that back. I’ve met people for whom music is simply background noise. Music is not noise, but I’ve lived with that knee-jerk reaction to turn down the volume. Those people don’t listen to music. They consume it. I doubt those people ever made a mix-tape for anyone.

Music is how I live. And it has been far too long a time since music has been this important to my being. It feels good again. It has mended my soul. And this book highlighted the reason. Love. Music is how you love. How you hurt. How one copes. Music is finding solace. It is a bridge through the stuff.

I’ve been making mix-tapes again. Well, burning CDs, actually. My car is full of them. I’ve given the gift of music and lately received the gifts in return (from people I have yet to even know very well or have a formal introduction … which is soooo cool, by the way).

If you’ve ever had a crush, a friendship, a lover, and made a tape for them this book is for you. If you ever loved and lost and had songs help get you through, then this book is for you. If you’ve had music you couldn’t listen to again because it hurt too much, this book is for you. If music is the soundtrack of your life, it is exemplified in this book.

Music is love. Read this book.

No comments: