6.18.2008

The Blog Title and Why

It has been brought to my attention that I haven’t explained the title of this blog and the “throw away” lyric that inspired the name. I’ve been remiss.

There is a song by Rickie Lee Jones called “Jolie, Jolie”. Now wait … Seriously … Give me break and some latitude here … I will admit I have a soft spot in my heart passed down from the countless girlfriends (and a former wife) who followed the various female folk of the moment and the history of women musicians/singers who came before them. As a consummate student of music and the arts, I’ve learned to appreciate them all. And for the record, I went through my iPod and pulled down the following list in the following categories as I see them.....

Because a library isn’t complete without:
- Bonnie Raitt
- Emmylou Harris
- Oleta Adams
- Nina Simone
- Etta James (not folk, but all woman)
- Dolly Parton (“She Drives Me Crazy” cover makes me laugh)
- Texas

Because they are just too cool:
- Joan Jones (Sun 60)
- Shawn Colvin
- Michelle Shocked
- Gail Swanson
- Cassandra Wilson
- Dixie Chicks
- Norah Johnes
- LeAnne Rimes
- Madeleine Peyroux
- Melissa Ferrick
- Holly Cole
- Susan Tedeschi
- Texas

Reminds me of a time and place:
- Edie Brickel (Mrs. Paul Simon)
- John Mayer
- Mandy Moore
- Michelle Branch
- Two Nice Girls (All three of them)
- Texas

Because she rocks:
- Some of the above fit here, too.
- KT Tunstall
- Sydney Forest (“Gonna fly” from “Kiki’s” rocks in an acoustic sort of way)
- Texas
- Samantha Stollenwerck
- Heart
- Melissa Ethridge
- Jill Knight

So, why “Even Happier Than That” ? I don’t know. It hit a cord. It registered with my brain. Listen to it and tell me if this song doesn’t just set a mood. It’s a place where you can relax and enjoy the moment. The song makes me want to open a Corona with a lime or a Guiness or a cigar with a single malt scotch. And the way she says that line is EVERYTHING about chillin’ and goin’ with the moment. It’s cool folk. There is some jazz. There is attitude. Isn’t that what this blog is all about?

“Even happier than that! … Uh!” Emphasis on the “Uh!.”

No comments: