6.22.2008

Fred and Ginger


Prague is a phenomenal study in architecture as most of the historic core escaped damage in WWII. The city boasts over 1500 designated cultural monuments. And I resisted my geekish tendencies to bring a sketchbook on the trip. I settled for a few pictures en route to the next bar instead. However, I had to stop and gape at the idiosyncratic Dancing Building designed by Prague architect Vlado Milunic and American Frank Gehry.

I heard that the older generation has thrown much criticism at the project calling it another devastating American bomb. The younger generation seems to like it. But, in contrast to the bland communist era, functional projects and the Gothic/Renaissance/Baroque era architecture, this is a bold and innovative work.

It is nicknamed “Fred and Ginger” for the legendary duo of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. It fits.

No comments: