12.30.2009

End of the Year Traditions


My friend Andy and I used to say, “Once is fun. Twice is tradition.” For a long time, we sort of lived by that rule. And, although Andy is no longer with us, some of our traditions still remain in my life.

I distinctly remember celebrating and talking about New Year’s traditions with him a number of years back (during our weekly tradition of a Friday after work beer at Spike’s Place). I was not convinced of the requirement to sing “Auld Lang Syne” at midnight now that Guy Lombardo was no longer living. Especially given the song is renown for containing the most forgettable lyrics in the English language. In typical Andy fashion, he convinced me otherwise.

See, although the song starts out questioning whether old times should be forgotten, the song is generally accepted as a call to remember those long standing friendships. To prove his point, Andy picked up his freshly topped Spike’s mug, foam running down the sides, and rather loudly sang the second verse:
And surely you’ll buy your pint cup
And surely I’ll buy mine.
And we’ll take a cup o’kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.
Then with even greater gusto, Andy finished with an almost operatic pose missing only the Viking helmet:
And there’s a hand my trusty friend
And give us a hand o’ thine
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
For auld lang syne.
Now, I’m not sure he nailed the lyrics quite right, but bar Patrons from tables all around applauded. Andy downed his beer and sat with a great sigh into his bench, a big smile, and a gleam in his eye. His point was true.

Most of my New Year’s traditions have eroded over the past few years, obviously. As for this year, traditions are enthusiastically starting anew. 2009 will go down in the annals as the Year of Transition. I’m content to hang with the kids, fiancĂ©, and hopefully a few close friends to usher in a new 2010. I’ll think of all my friends and loved ones scattered all across the county and take a cup o’kindess yet, for auld lang syne.

Better yet, I’ll make it a double, another right good-will draught. Because, once is fun, Andy. But twice is tradition.

No comments: