6.17.2008

Detached Vacation

A few weeks ago (geez, a month ago now), I returned from a two week romp in Europe with close friends. For obvious, or maybe not so obvious, reasons it was a much need vacation. It gave me the chance to put my failed marriage behind me and get my head on straight. But, the next few travel posts (mixed in with the current randomness) are about six countries in six days and a week in Italy.

This was the type of vacation few of us ever really take. We all share the idea of a true vacation while sipping over-priced, double-shotted, grande, low-fat mochas while balancing a laptop on our knees and ignoring the cell phones set on vibrate. And, I’m no different than most of you. We all tend to shave a few days off work for a mental recess to hang someplace. Yet, not enough of us are able to completely detach from our regular ways of life. The usual excuses keep us from this minor miracle. “My life simply won’t allow me the luxury” or “Work is too important” or “your excuse here”.

Physically lifting myself up and getting out of Dodge was not difficult this time. It was easy for me to run away. And the quiet moments set my mind spinning around the concepts of simplicity, true value, and what is important.

I've changed. And I'm going to make more time to detach in the future.

No comments: