10.21.2008

Me, Not My Money

I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat. - Will Rogers
I have no money to give. Of all the elections, I have no money to donate to my candidate of choice this election year. With a staggeringly slim divorce budget and these economic times, there is no money leftover.

And the countless emails I’m getting to give money are starting to rub me the wrong way because they don’t need the money. Right now, what they need, is more people.

If I ran the campaign today, I would make a huge announcement that given the economic uncertainty, my campaign was not going to ask for another dime. Instead, I’d ask for people. People with ideas. People to hold a house party just to listen to my plans on a conference call. I’d ask for more volunteers to help spread the word.

You are only asking for money because that is what campaign offices do. I’m president of a local, non-profit board. I get asking for money. We do it all the time, because that is what we do. We have all those systems in place and they kind of work on automatic. But, quite honestly, right now, what my non-profit needs is more people power. We need volunteers and people with know how. We need dedicated community leaders. If we can show a strong group of people, the money will follow ... Eventually.

So, Obama Campaign? .... Focus on your people who can get more people. You need my attention, not my money. You need my enthusiasm for your candidacy, not my last dollar. You want my time, my ideas, and my vote. Not my money. Not today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since I moved to L.A. I have discovered that all non-profit organizations here do not want you or your involvement, they want your money.

When I tried to get involved and meet people, I would be mailed envelopes that I could put a check in, but no information on how to get involved. Not theater groups, not the gay community center, none of them.

At least here they're honest about it.