7.01.2008

An Anthem

Again, driving around in Orange County this last weekend, listening to my road trip music, I described some of my favorite songs as “Anthems”. I was challenged to define it and failed miserably. So, I am here to embellish. That’s what this little blog is all about, right?

I can think of a ton of songs over the years that I would define as an anthem. I can point to examples better than I can define it. Easily The Who’s Won’t Get Fooled Again (see header above) would be way up there. Springsteen’s Born in the USA would qualify. Queen’s We Will Rock You. And more recently for all the Gen Xers out there, Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit is on the list.

But, the problem is a bit esoteric. What works as an Anthem for you might not work for another. It is obviously subjective. An anthem isn’t really a musical style at all. It might be part generational and part genre. There could be a punk anthem from the 80s that just rocks your world. The Baby Boomer’s might choose something more along the lines of The Beatle’s All You Need is Love.

But that still seems a bit shallow to me. It is more than just genre and generation. And then I stumbled upon this little web site. NME is ranking the Top 50 Indie Anthems. I don’t agree with the list very much, but I absolutely loved the explanation of an Anthem.
It’s the moment in the night when with a special tune behind you, for three and a half minutes it’s like you can do anything at all. It’s the songs that bring meaning to life and bring you and your friends close together. They’re the songs that make a difference.
I get that and appreciate the bringing people together part. That was the part I couldn’t define. An anthem is more like the sound track to our lives and the people with which we interact. There it is.

My Anthems of the Week:
Danielia Cotton - Bang My Drum
The Babys - Back on My Feet Again
Snow Patrol - You're All I Have
Spear of Destiny - The Price
The Winebottles - Final Go Round

No comments: