4.08.2009

Choices

This is not earth shattering. It is not even close to important. I’m not sure it even warrants a blog post. But, I have been pondering quite a few things over the last few months amid all the boxes and packing and moving and unpacking and making decisions about where to put my stuff.

A lot about divorce is in re-inventing oneself. Well, maybe not re-inventing to the scale of “I am now James Bond”. No, it is more like rediscovering the important pieces of what makes me tick, both the good and the bad.

Sometimes they are simply trivial ticks. For instance, I’ve decided I really miss button-fly jeans. I only own zipper jeans right now and I think that is sad. I liked button-fly jeans once upon a time. But are they in style? I don’t think I know that answer. Will I fit in or stand out? Do I care?

I know what to wear to certain restaurants. I have decent clothes for my upcoming conference in SFO. I have suits that aren’t too far outdated... yet. And I also know there are a lot of people that are sure to tell me the answers and that will give great advice. These things all will help me blend in.

But maybe, just maybe, I want to stand out from the crowd now. Here’s the tricky part (yes, the Big, Fig Newton)…. Look at me! I’m either a freak or a fool. Or maybe I’m just cool. Those white loafers with the metal thingy would sure grab some attention. These things will get me noticed.

Clothing is not really the issue, just a textile illustration of a minor yet conscious dilemma. I know I have a choice to make with literally everything I do, from posting on this blog to buying a certain brand of beer. Is the decision to fit it or stand out?

The point is: I now have more choices than I really ever had before. I get to choose.

I want button-fly jeans.

Divorce is weird!

No comments: