9.17.2008

The Wrong Side of Wrong

A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right. - Thomas Paine - Common Sense
Life these days seems to be more about being wrong or not being wrong (aka being right). It is front and center in politics and the looming November elections. It is prevalent in all things business (being wrong might lead to lawsuits). A state of wrongness seemed to be a constant issue playing a part in the downfall of my marriage and a current cornerstone in our post marriage conversations. Being wrong starts stuff we want to avoid, for some at all costs (lying, cover-ups, etc.).

Yet being correct or right is just normal. It goes unnoticed. Similar to good news in the media, being right or correct gets very little recognition. It doesn’t matter if one is honorable or righteous, one will still go to great lengths to get out of a situation where one has screwed up or made a mistake. And why? Why is being wrong so bad? Doesn’t it mean a decision was made? Something was acted upon?

I guess it leads me to the real point. Why do others thrive on pointing out ones errors? Why inflict heaps of discomfort on others by touting someone’s wrong? I get that it is a survival instinct. It stems as a bit of a martial art to deflect the attention off of oneself by pointing out the failings of another, no matter how much one cares or loves or likes the other person.

The world has come to a place where being right isn’t the goal. Just not being wrong, is.

Personally, I’ve observed how I deal with being in the wrong. I have an ego, too, so I don’t like being in that place any better than anyone else. But I also admit when I’ve made a mistake outright. I think most people to be fairly forgiving when I’m upfront and honest about my mistakes. I don’t deflect. I accept and move on. It is a lot less painful that way.

I guess I like to think it isn’t about proving wrongness in the world. Wrong happens. Maybe instead of feeling better by tearing one down, we should look to the other direction. One should be given the kudos for being right. Let’s forget seeking power by proving another wrong. The world would be a better place, yes?

It is just a thought. I could be wrong.

No comments: