9.26.2008

The Language of Debate

I'm not sure my schedule allows me to watch the Presidential debate tonight. I am having it TiVo-ed just in case. And there is always YouTube, too.

However, going back to my college days I remember a professor telling me something in a speech class ...
The person that creates and masters the language, controls the debate.
Think hard about that statement.

And about tonight, as we saw in 2000 and in 2004, the candidate that wins the debates doesn't necessarily win the election. Both campaigns should keep that in mind after it is completed.

Also, it might seem vain to quote myself. Well, it is vain, but screw it. I've been thinking a lot about a post I wrote years ago at the other blog.
I believe there is a subtle difference between urgent (last minute) and important (planned). Urgent is always a cop out. It is simply too easy and justified in the minds of the lunatic people. Everyone can agree when something is urgent. Urgent trumps important every time. Everyone gets heated over a crisis. Mistakes happen. People miss things. Urgent is easy because everyone agrees about Urgent. Urgent is vital. It is pressing ... Urgent sucks.

No, I’d rather languish in Important. One can have a beer or a glass of wine and still deal with Important. One can study what is right and correct with the appropriate amount of time. Important is weighty. It is central and valuable. Nothing about Important says late and frantic.
Let's think about THAT tonight during the debates and not get too completely caught up in the Wall Street bailout as THE issue. No doubt the Bailout issue is important, indeed. But let's treat it that way and not panic in "urgent". Let's do this right.

No comments: