9.04.2008

The Detroit Lions to Win the Super Bowl

So, the NFL season kicks off tonight. For the first time in years, I will be watching it all by myself. I won’t be cooking in my kitchen watching on the counter-top tv. I won’t be sharing replays with the family. It undoubtedly will be just me (and hopefully another), an HD TV, some chips and salsa, and a couple of beers. And I’m o.k. with that. I’m very much looking forward to it.

So here we are… the office pool is filled out. My fantasy teams (yes, plural) are complete and the starters in place. And my beloved Detroit Lions poised to have a good season. I am so ready for some football.

Here is what I think on a few select games for the weekend….

Washington Redskins (+3) at New York Giants
Tonight’s game is an interesting one. I think the big telling stats are that the Skins are 2-6-2 against the spread on their Week 1 games over the last ten years. They don’t start seasons off too well and are facing the Super Bowl Champions. So, I’m taking the Giants.

Tampa Bay Bucs (+3.5) at New Orleans Saints
The Bucs have a better than average defense but a questionable offense, yet they managed a 9-7 record and played in last years playoffs. The Saints are a darling of the media this year and could be a very good team. I see two telling stats. The road team between these two teams is 8-2 against the spread in the last 10 games and the underdog is 9-3 against the spread in the last 12 games. That points to the Bucs and the Bucs. So, I’m taking the Bucs and the points. The Saints might win the game, but I think these two divisional foes will keep it within the 3.5 points.

Detroit Lions at Atlanta Falcons (+2.5)
I always take Detroit because I am THE fan and they are my team. Plus, the Falcons are starting a rookie QB. I think this game will be interesting to watch the Lion’s new, rookie RB Kevin Smith go against the Falcons new RB Michael Turner. I also think Detroit QB Jon Kitna is going to connect quite a bit with his two WRs Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. Oh, yeah, I’ll be following this game closely.

Jacksonville Jaguars at Tennessee Titans (+3.5)
I like Jacksonville to do very well this year. Yet, these two played in Week 1 last year, as well. The Titans took that game by three points. I think it is going to be a repeat as the underdog in this matchup is 7-2 against in the last 9 games. The Jags might win, and I hope they do, but I think this another game that plays to a close score within the 3.5 points.

Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers (+2.5)
This is usually one of the more entertaining games of the year. Three of the last four meetings went over 45 total points and last November the score was 37-31 with the 9ers winning. 9ers also took last year’s season opener. So, if you’re in Vegas, take the over which is currently sitting at 41.5 points. As for who will win? I think the Cardinals might contend for the Division title this year (even over the Seahawks). The 9ers get the Mike Martz Offense Era started. Just ask Detroit how well THAT worked out for them over the last couple of years. Take the Cards in a highly entertaining, high scoring game.

The MNF Games
Minnesota Vikings (+2.5) at Green Bay Packers

The telling stats: The road team is 10-2 against the spread and the underdog is 16-5 against the spread. So that is the Vikes and the Vikes. Take the Vikes to not only cover but win it. Watch the Pack start the where is Bret chants.

Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders (+1.5)
Major game here. Neither team knows which of their three to four running backs they will utilize and that is going to slow this game down. The biggest telling stat that I see is the under is 9-4 in the last 13 meetings. Plus, the 1.5 spread shows a low scoring game. The other big stat is that the Raiders are 8-22 against the spread in their last 30 home games. Ouch. I say that trend continues and the Broncos find a way to edge the number for a win.

My Super Bowl prediction?
The Lions win the Super Bowl, of course. But I say that every year. But they just might do it this time because this is the first year in the last 20 years or so that I didn’t put $10 down on that bet. So, World, look out.

No comments: